Monday, October 20, 2003

Thing I don't understand: The Drug War

I was reading some appaling statistics about prisons and the drug war. Of course, this doesn't seem to be at the top of anyone's agenda at the moment. Too lazy to post statistics--I will later. It's such a cliche but my thought was: Yes, and if they busted every pot smoking or other drug doing middle class (or upper class) white person? What would happen to the war on drugs? It would vanish like a puff of smoke I'm sure. If they busted every recreational marijuana user? But then: Why don't they? Why do so many middle class white people use drugs with impunity? I mean, even if they just busted every middle class white user in New York City...the outcry--can you imagine?

Man, it's enough to make you think there's some kind of conspiracy. Am I being too obvious? Is it this obvious? What critical fact am I missing?



The U.S. spent 17.7 Billion on it in 2000 (Of course that doesn't seem like much after Iraq--but it is.)

Drug War Facts

drug policy alliance

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home