Monday, July 18, 2005

You Do Know Everything's Changed Now, Don't You?

God, the American media is so strange...after 9/11 it was "Oh, no! Nothing will ever be the same, ever, ever again!" And "maybe our suffering will make us all better people..." (Hah.) But now that the London bombing has happened and nothing really will ever be the same, do you hear them saying this?

Is everyone stupid? Do you not realize that there will be suicide bombings in the U.S? And in Europe.

This is a beautifully written and sad article about what it will be like (sort of...I think it will be different in some ways).

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/review/story/0,6903,1529982,00.html

When I think about the war in Iraq and all the rest of the carnage the U.S. is repsonsible for, I think I can say this one thing with absolute certainty: No one here or in London or anywhere deserves to die for this horrible war. No, what is annoying about the war in connection with terrorism is that we can't say "Oh my God! Why us? Why America? What has America ever done to make everyone so mad?" No, we can't say that. And it is unfortunate because there is a bad taste in our mouths or should be. Again, I say for the millionth time for those idiots who don't get it: NO ONE IS SAYING THAT ANYONE DESERVES TO BE KILLED. And that goes for the enlisted people, most of whom joined the Army to pay for college and get health insurance--a war was not on the horizon...a war did not seem likely. I used to wonder if I shouldn't join the National Guard just to pay off my student loans. The Army just seemed scary because they make you go to boot camp and yell at you.

The people in London of course, for the most part, vehemently opposed the war in Iraq. The English haven't done anything too, too bad since the '50s.

The only thing cheering me up is that I thought my baby was a boy and she turned out to be a girl. Because about the Iraq war all my predictions came true (well, ya would have to be an idiot...) And my prediction now is that suicide bombings in the U.S. are going to create the most insane reaction...and friends, that little shred of democracy you might think we still have is going to be gone...more gone than the hair from Karl Rove's head...gone, gone, gone.

And I just want to tell you that when you hear the first report of a bomb, in Detroit or Dallas or Denver...if your blog is anything like mine I'd recommend you delete it without a second thought.

I must admit I don't even bother watching the news so this could be very similar to an editorial on CNN tonight for all I know.

Signed your paranoid but prescient friend,

Miel

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home