Monday, November 03, 2003

Silly Question

You may or may not know that I have this strange problem with the passage of time. I was reading this piece in the NY Review of Books about Einstein and Poincarre describing a proposed metric system of time. Rather than hours we would have pieces of the day--so what serves as a second could be 1/10,000 of the day.

I wonder if that would have helped me.

I wonder what would have happened had there been an entirely different way of measuring time. How might our subjective experience have changed? What if we had no seconds or minutes? How I wish I could escape the measurement at the least.

I have approximately 20 clocks or other time measurers in my house if you include the built ins. Perhaps I should remove them and see what happens? I'm too afraid.

(The article is more interesting than this thought so I'll come back to the article later.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home